Moving requires organization, careful planning, and lots of patience; and adding a divorce into a picture can make everything much more hectic! Relocating because of separation is often confusing and can cause some serious headaches. Not to worry, Zip Moving & Storage is here to help you!
Though moving on after a separation isn’t easy, sometimes the act of physical relocation can be the best solution. Relocating to a new place offers you an environment that is fresh and exciting. Starting anew may be the best thing for you, and improve other aspects of your life as well! Here are some tips to help you go through these challenging times:
- Acknowledge your loss – Deciding to divorce is one of the biggest and most gut-wrenching life decisions. To truly move on, you will first need to acknowledge your loss.
- Prepare for relocation – Take some time off and try to prepare everything for your relocation. Moving can take several days, weeks, or even months to plan, so don’t hesitate to ask for help.
- Book a moving company – Sometimes, it’s best to leave the laborious work to professionals. If you choose the right moving company, expert movers and packers will know how to handle your belongings with utmost care.
- Make an inventory list – When moving, it’s always a good idea to make a detailed inventory list of the items you plan to relocate with you. An inventory list also helps movers keep track of your possessions and their conditions.
- Give yourself enough time to heal and settle in – This is one of the most important tips. Moving and divorce are incredibly stressful life events. It’s essential to give yourself enough time to heal properly. Take things slowly, and don’t put too much pressure on yourself.
- Set up your new home – You may need to set up your new home and focus on decorations. That can be a good and much-needed distraction! A great tip for setting up your new home is to get rid of old furniture and items you don’t need anymore.
- Find new friendships – New friendships can help you heal faster. Open yourself up to some new experiences! Give yourself a chance to enjoy life again. Maybe even take yourself on a date! Who knows, you may even meet your next big romance!
Why moving after a divorce can be a good thing
Going through a divorce is one of the most stressful and nerve-wracking experiences. Still, not everything is so bad. After a messy break-up, a fresh start can bring something new and positive.
According to the latest data, around 40% of married couples in the United States end up divorced, so know that you are not alone in this. Relocating after divorce can be the right choice. After some time, you will be able to put your divorce behind you and find a better support system.
Moving with children after divorce
Separation is never easy, but things get even more complicated when you have kids with your ex-partner. One of the first things you will have to determine is what co-parenting will look like. When relocating with children, there are many factors to consider, but learning how to co-parent should definitely be on top of your list.
Talk with your kids, build a strong support system around you, and give them enough time to settle into their new surroundings and school. This is your opportunity to start fresh with your kids, and after some tough adjustments, things will begin to feel better again.
Encourage yourself to ask for help
Transitions in life can be difficult, but embracing the change will open you up to some experiences, people, and personal growth. We recommend leaving the planning and heavy lifting to trained professionals, especially during such a challenging period in your life.
Moving is a natural course of life and it requires a lot of backbreaking work, but our skilled and expertly trained team can help you with that. A professional moving company will handle every aspect of your move and offer you the highest-quality moving services. Move forward with us and start fresh somewhere new!