Changing your mailing address is one of the most important tasks when moving houses. This is a necessary part of every move, and should not be overlooked when planning your timeline for relocation!
There are 4 ways to change your address:
- ONLINE- Simply access the official USPS change of address form, fill out the required fields with the correct information, and provide a valid email address to change your address online. Expect to be charged $1 on your debit or credit card to verify your identity.
- IN PERSON- Visit the nearest post office, ask office personnel for a PS form, and file it on the spot! Changing your address will not cost you anything, since you will prove your identity in person.
- OVER THE PHONE- Call this phone number: 1-800-ASK-USPS and follow the recorded instructions. Have your debit or credit card on hand, as you will be charged an identity verification fee of $1.
- BY MAIL- Download the printable USPS change of address form (PS form 3575). Print out the COA form and follow the detailed instructions to fill it out correctly. Buy first-class postage and mail the filled form to POSTMASTER, United States Postal Service.
Keep your eyes open for a move validation letter sent to your old address. Expect to receive a confirmation letter sent to your new address 10 days after the actual change of address request has been processed.
How long does it take for a change of address?
We strongly recommend filing your change of address form 2 weeks prior to your move. It typically takes the USPS between 7-12 business days to process mail forwarding requests.
Many places have your address on file, such as your driver’s license, the doctor’s office, your bank, voter registration, magazines, and other subscription services.
In some cases this is a legal requirement, if you’re moving states you need to update your address on your driver’s license or state ID within a certain time frame.
What or who needs to be informed about your new address?
Zip Moving & Storage recommends downloading the Updater app to help organize your move. Updater is a time-saving tool that enables you to forward your mail, update businesses with your new address, share moving messages with friends and family, access your internet and utility information, and more!
Alternatively, download Zip Moving & Storage’s free moving checklist to plan your move on your own.
Friends and family
Make sure you’re still reachable for those important wedding, birthday, and barbecue invitations! Keep friends and family in the loop by letting them know your updated address early.
Don’t forget to let your manager know about your upcoming move. This is important for pay stubs and tax documents.
Updating your address with utility services will ensure a seamless transition without a gap in service.
- Gas and electric – No one wants to move in by candlelight and without any heat! Let your gas and electric companies know of your move early so you can move into a cozy home.
- Internet and cable – Stay online (for business and entertainment!) by updating your address with your internet and cable companies.
- Phone – Don’t miss a call during this period of transition by informing your phone provider of your change of address.
Are you running a business? Are you the head of the household? Make sure the IRS and your state tax ag